Sunday, December 30, 2012

Day Two: SLO Day Hike

    Tom took off early to the bay area to pick up a car on a trailer and drive it back.  Everyone else left the house and I didn't know Tim and company were back from sea trials in LA so I spent the morning watching Alaska State Troopers on natgeo.  I got a text from Tim asking what my day plans were so I walked across the street to make plans and say hi.
     Tim, Sue and I sat around talking about diving, the local area and Alaska. Tim and I planned to go on a quick day hike. After changing and packing a day pack, we were off.
     Bishop Peak is only a 10 minute drive from their house. Tom and Tim use it for a training hike because its short but steep in parts. The night rain had made the slope up the first part muddy. Once we got into the rocks above there were lots of small boulders to walk over and the trail ran through some large rocks we had to climb up.
     On the way up Tim talked about poison oak and that the best thing is to just not touch things along the trail. As we are walking and talking I heard a rushing sound from above and behind. I started to duck as I turned to see a huge turkey vulture diving, just above us.  There were lots of these vultures riding the drafts off the hillside.
     At the top, the trail gave way to a labyrinth of huge boulders. They were piled together so that you could climb through and around them. We made our way through the holes and crevices until we came out on a rock that jetted out but was covered by two larger rocks, making a cave that reminded me of the rock outcropping in lion king.

     We sat there for a while watching the birds fly below us off the adjacent ledge. We made our way back to the trail and up to another peak but there were people there and it was not as big as the other one. We drove back and I met Tim's sons James and Andrew.  We went into town and got a bite to eat before



4 comments:

  1. When you got to the "Lion King" cave and looked out over the valley, I was expecting wilderness so was surprised to see roads and lots of buildings!! Too used to Alaska, I guess. Looks like a nice hike. Never have seen boulders like that. A bit like the Tors up CHS road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, there's like a lot of people here. haha

      Delete
  2. Corey, nice photo of the Turkey Vulture! I liked the boulder video of Bishop Peak as well. Let me know if u want me to send you some photos that I have taken, and to what email account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah that would be great. or i can bring my hard drive over tomorrow.
      corey.upton1@gmail.com

      Delete