Monday, December 31, 2012

Day Three: Prefumo Canyon

    We woke up early to go biking this morning. After getting the bike ready, which took longer than we expected due to some tire tube problems, Tom said he couldn't go because he had to fix and return a car trailer.  Tim and I would do a trial run to see how the bike (and me) would do in the hills. And so I could get used to working the new GoPro with the wifi remote.
     I strapped the vented helmet mount on the back of Tim's helmet so we would get a video of me riding.  I also put one on the front of mine so we could switch the camera and I could get a first person view. The cool thing about the wifi remote is I could control the camera that Tim was wearing from my bike. When I was in the shot or wanted a video, I would press the button and it would start. I didn't have it quite figured out so I ended up pushing buttons manually after a while but the video we got turned out well.
     We started up the grade and I quickly found that my bike was too small.  Without full leg extension you lose a lot of power and get tired out faster. This on top of the lower gears not working and being out of shape for biking made the going slow. Tim traded bikes with me to give me an advantage but he was still beating me on the even smaller bike for him.
     At the top of the hills we could see the ocean to the west and SLO to the east. It was quite a view

     After getting to the top we took a quick break and started in for the even quicker decent. Tim's advice was "follow my line and don't crash" -good advice. The end the road was winding and in trees so we had to go slower for traffic. That was alright because being on an unfamiliar bike its hard to know how far you can go, and asphalt is not the place to find out. 
     We stopped at Prefumo Falls on the way back and hiked up, leaving the bikes on the shoulder. Tim says not many people go up them but he maintains the trail and keeps it clear. We made it up in about 20 minutes and down in the same time. The rocks were wet from the rain that night and the water running down from the springs above making it a slippery, careful little hike. After the falls my legs were giving out and starting to cramp on the ride back. 


    Hot tubs are a good remedy for sore legs so naturally we jumped in after the ride.  Got a bite to eat before dinner and I passed out on the couch for a few hours.  Nobody knew I was there because I was so wrapped up in blankets, Tim has a funny picture of it.

     Tom came over and we talked and ate as an amazing dinner of lobster, tri tip, Alaska smoked salmon, and peppers was made. Thanks, Sue, Tom, and Tim!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like we didn't do nearly enough cardio at the gym, ha. It's fun hearing about your adventures; I'm glad you are enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my kind of vacation! Very cool. Is that the GoPro Hero 3 Black edition?

    ReplyDelete