Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day Five: New Years Mountain Biking

     Got up and got the bikes ready for a trip. Tim borrowed a bike from his friend for me to ride. Turns out it is a Giant, similar to the one I have at home. Got my GoPro stuff and day pack ready, loaded the bikes and we were off in Tom's truck.
     We drove east to the coast to ride on the hills overlooking the ocean.  I was still pretty sore from the seat on the ride up and down Prefumo Canyon two days before but nothing you can do for that. We parked right at the beach and pedaled up the road a ways to the trail head.  Tim put a bell on his bike to alert the horse riders that also use the trail systems there. Tim's biking group maintains the trails, and they are very nice.
     We made it up with only a few stops to look at the view. I started using the GoPro wifi remote and it works really well for getting quick on and off shots. I know that during the editing I will only be using a few seconds of video at a time and I'm not sure what to do with the left over video filling up my hard drive. I'm trying to keep the long shots to a minimum.
     After getting to the highest point on the trail which is 1000 ft elevation gain according to Tom's GPS track, Tim wore my GoPro looking back and I rode behind him. We did quite a decent over rocky terrain. Of course it doesn't look steep in the video but riding down it fast is quite different.
     There was one more up hill section and once we passed that it was all downhill from there.  The last part of the trail was steep and through a narrow cut in the brush. I scraped a tree at one point but didn't fall because its like being in a luge.

Video link:
http://youtu.be/JtZp3TDD3M0




     When we got back to the truck we had gone 9.8 miles with an average grade of 6% and 7% on the first uphill section

     Since it is New Years day Tim and I jumped in the ocean with no wet suit. The waves were up so we had to wait a while for a lull in the set. It was pretty cold at first but once the shock passed it wasn't bad. Also knowing there was a 102 degree hot tub waiting back at the house helped.
Pretty rough here...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment