Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day Ten: Meeting Sam

     Had breakfast with Tom and Loraine and then took Tom's truck down to the box stores to do some shopping as I did not bring enough clothes. I cleaned up the clearance sales and got a new pull over jacket for $5 and some other good deals.
     My friend Sam Brewer from UAF works down here for Halliburton and we arranged to meet up when he had time off. Sam and I work on the plane for the AIAA competition the first year of Aero Group. I drove up to Paso Robles and got Sam. We talked about school, work, UAVs and oil drilling on the drive back to SLO. When we got back, Loraine said that Tim and Tom had gone on a bike ride and were in the hot tub. After introductions Tim and Sam talked a lot about diving, hiking and sail boats.
     A quick side story: I went with Sam on a spur of the moment hike with last spring in Alaska on a quest for GoPro cameras from "space". The quest turned into a survival situation with no food, freezing temperatures and a lack of fuel to keep our wet wood burning. So I know Sam is probably crazy enough to get involved with our hiking group. He is in the area and has similar interests. I hope to see him on future hikes (I hope to get time off to go on future hikes as well).
     We had a quick snack and headed off to Bishop Peak to go hiking. Sam has been working near here and hasn't been able to get away to do anything so was glad to get out. We made it to the top in good time and headed right over to the rocks to do some bouldering. We tried climbing on some of the bigger rocks at the top but it was raining and things were getting slippery pretty fast.  We climbed (or crawled) out on some ledges to get a good view of the valley below.
     After the hike we drove back and talked with Tom while he BBQed two chickens. Good dinner!  Andrew went back to LA so Sue says its their turn to have me over.  Across the street I go. lol







No comments:

Post a Comment